Family Login:

Share This Obituary

Memories & Candles

“I have many fond memories of my aunt Helen starting from when I was very young, but the one that stands out the most is of her visiting my mother,...Read More »
1 of 6 | Posted by: Kathleen Karls - sheboygan, WI

“I will truly miss my dear Aunt who was so much like my mother, Bertha Halliday. Helen and my mother were the youngest girls in the family and...Read More »
2 of 6 | Posted by: Danielle Hallliday Widmer - WI

“I am so sorry for your loss. To lose a parent or a mate is one of the hardest challenges to get over. I hope you find comfort in the words of of our...Read More »
3 of 6 | Posted by: Frank Battaglia - Macomb Township, MI

“God Bless Helen, Michael and the rest of the family and God Speed Helen on to heaven! ”
4 of 6 | Posted by: Ted Gauley - Warren, MI

“My favorite memory of Aunt Helen is the stories she would tell me about me being her first niece, and how she would stop and visit me on her way...Read More »
5 of 6 | Posted by: Angeline Bielefeldt - Racine, WI

“My sincerest condolences and prayers of comfort to both Michael and David at the loss of their dear mother, my Aunt Helen.My memories of her, my...Read More »
6 of 6 | Posted by: Brother V. Kenneth Curley, F..S.C. - CA

Helen Phyllis Blasco, age 102 of Warren, died Saturday, August 26, 2017 at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan. She was born April 12, 1915 in Racine, Wisconsin, daughter of the late Michael Manarino and the late Frances (nee: Matagrano) Manarino.

One cannot look at Helen Blasco's life without looking at her mother's life as well, Frances Manarino. Frances experienced so many traumatic and life-changing events that without her love, determination and dedication to her family, any one of those could have had catastrophic effects on herself and her children.

Born in Italy, Frances was 13 years old when she came to this country, alone, and at the behest of her older brother. Her mother wrapped dried fruit and cheese in a hankerchief and put her on a ship to New York. There was a point in that voyage when Helen leaned over the bow of the ship to look at the ocean and got hit by a wave that knocked her over the railing. Someone she didn't even know reached over the rail, just in time, grabbed her by the pants and pulled her back in. My Mom and her siblings would not be here if my Grandma was not saved at that moment. She passed the Statue of Liberty and was dropped off at Ellis Island. She waited there for two days before being picked up by her brother.

Frances moved to Pennsylvania where she worked and worked having never received a formal education. She got married as a young teen, had five beautiful children to include four girls and one boy, and her husband worked in a coal mine. They moved to Racine, Wisconsin where my Grandfather worked in construction while Frances took care of the family.

Still another challenge, my Grandfather died in a work accident. A sincere mother with five kids and no safety net, she worked so hard to support her family. She managed boarding houses, sold Watkins products door-to-door, and ultimately found work in a shirt factory. Because of her love and dedication, her children thrived.

My Mom did well in high school. Following graduation, she attended the Mother Cabrini Nursing School in Chicago with her sister, Bertha. They graduated and became RN's; her mother was so proud.

She met my Dad, who knew my Grandmother before my Mom. They married just before my Dad enlisted in the Army. Mom followed him from state to state during his Army training. Following his deployment to Europe in 1943, Mom moved back to Racine, Wisconsin where she waited and worried. In Racine, she worked as an Industrial Nurse at the Oster Factory. My Dad was at Omaha Beach shortly after the Invasion of Normandy. He came out of the war unscarred and reunited with my Mom.

They moved to Detroit in 1950 to carve out the life my brother and I became a part of. My Dad got a job in the automobile industry and worked so hard to provide for his family. Early on, my Mom did some nursing work in both the hospital and private practice settings. After a while she decided to devote 100% of her time to taking care of the household and us. She was a consummate homemaker; she did it all. I know that throughout her life, her Mom provided her with inspiration and love.

It was good to have a nurse to look after every bump, scratch and fever that we encountered. When my Dad became ill, my Mom returned to being the nurse she always was. She was absolutely tireless in taking care of my father.

After her beloved husband passed, she lived independently for twenty plus years. She loved reading mystery novels (J.D. Robb was her fave!),…watching the Detroit Tigers play (Justin Verlander was HER Tiger!),…and spending time with her two sons. This is not a tragedy. This is a celebration of a beautiful woman and a life beautifully lived.

A letter from her son, David.

Helen was the beloved wife of the late Anthony, and dearest mother of Michael Anthony Blasco and David Alan (Kim) Blasco.

Visitation for Helen will be held Friday, September 1st from 3:00-9:00 pm at the D.S. Temrowski & Sons Funeral Home, 30009 Hoover Road at Common (12 ½ Mile Rd) in Warren.

She will lie in state on Saturday from 10:30 am until time of the Funeral Mass at 11:00 am at St. Malachy Catholic Church in Sterling Heights. Interment to follow at Cadillac Memorial Gardens East Cemetery in Clinton Township, Michigan .

Please share memories of Helen at her memory book above.